Tuesday 24 July 2007

Surreal

Surreal

1. Characterized by fantastic imagery and incongruous juxtapositions;

2. Resembling a dream

3. Having qualities attributed to or associated with surrealism


Anahita Dordi

Brushing her wavy locks, Nisha was all set to meet her colleague Alok. Waiting for her phone to ring she saw to it that she had worn Alok’s favourite colour and left her hair open just like he liked them to be. Tring tring went the phone; it had to Alok. As soon as she answered the call a voice narrated an extremely loving and romantic poem. Nisha was almost into tears until when the voice said, “Neha you there?”
It was surreal for Nisha to have expected Alok to call and strange timing of the poetic call she received. Strange co-incidents happen.

At times even a wrong number leaves a smile on your face.


==================================

Truth Dude

It started as an innocuous comment. ‘So what’s the truthdude thing? Truth always wins and all that.’

About a year later, I was in Delhi, sitting in her Mamaji’s flat.

My breath was shallow. My skin was tingling. The anticipation was killing me.

We drove to a furniture shop where her mamaji was to select an almirah – a present for his newly wed daughter. Everybody was busy going through compartments and fixtures and colours.

I was standing right next to her.

‘Put your hand down’, I whispered.

‘What?’

‘Your hand…’

Contact!

After a year of intense questioning, thinking, feeling, loving, and going to the brink of insanity and back.

Our fingers intertwined.

Electricity – spontaneous combustion – aaaaaaarrrrggghhh!!

=========================================

Mandappa

"Slept well?" Johny's pillow asked Reeba's.

"No, couldn't sleep a wink last night. Reeba's so tensed over her appraisals that her brain cells

were thrashing around like popcorn in a pressure cooker. Frying and dying faster than you could list the names of Jack the Ripper's victims. What's the deal with this money thing? Everybody hates it, yet they spend their lives revolving around it. They either think of acquiring it or spending it. It's a vicious cycle. A cycle more vicious than a double headed cobra on heat."

"These humans, waste their lives on something they hate. Kinda surreal don't u think?"

"Just like the Tarantino movie I saw before I passed out" said Johny's pillow.

===========================================

Dok Saab

Jeeves, this morning I felt very what's that word, it starts with an S and means dreamlike. I was woken by the sweet voice coming from the Radio. I looked at Her. She was smiling. I say she because she looked like Jayanti.

Love you Rajat, she said.

Shut up, I wanted to say, but I said cock-a-doodle-doo.

What else can a chicken, which has been fed upon saffron and pineapple, say?

I threw away my blanket and jumped out of my bed, or was it a pen.

Ruffling a few feathers I reached her, and switched her off.

Sun was shining through the window and I wanted to get out and you were blocking my way.

Is it surreal you want to say, Sir!

Yes that was the word, Surreal, but Why are you carrying that knife Jeeves?

==========================================

Richa

(a correction has been made to the text!! The NOTE was part of the submission)

Hey diddle diddle,

The cat and the fiddle,
The cow jumped over the moon;
The little dog laughed to see such sport,
And the dish ran away with the spoon.

This was my first introduction to surreal writing. I did not know it as "surreal" then…I just knew I did not like it. Then I read Lear's The Story of the Four Little Children Who Went Round the World, it was full of sentences like "After a time they saw some land at a distance; and when they came to it, they found it was an island made of water quite surrounded by earth. so that it was perfectly beautiful, and contained only a single tree, 503 feet high. Pardon me but where is the humor in it?? Recently I re-read Lewis Carroll's masterpiece ""Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" and believe me I tried but I still could not see the humor. I was told you have to have savoir faire, sophistication to appreciate such art. Well it has taken me years to attain enough of both to admit "I don't like Alice in Wonderland"!! There I have said it!!!

Santonu

I was looking at her for hours! Her trembling face on the candle was smiling, spreading light to the every corner of the room. The brown chocolate cake was waiting for the guests to arrive. I was sitting silently in front of the table, talking to her; the shining knife the wine glasses created the perfect ambience. It was my birthday and I was jovial; with the evening getting younger and seductive, I was following every curve of her face, her smile. Friends were filling the room and suddenly I was conscious, everyone in the room started cheering me as I was blowing off the candle, her surreal image disappeared with a thin smoke line which bade adieu. I lost her, my soul as every one cheered….

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Konfessioners
I am a bit confused about the rules.The blog sets the deadline(why do they call it Deadline, sounds very morbid) as Wednesday, while the mailer dated 19th July sets it at Monday. So till when should we wait for the entries before commenting.
The word this week was a tough one. Never had used Surreal in whatever I wrote till now, though knew what it meant. Good choice ! must be NM's, by the way where are the two Mighty Mahajans,

Anah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anah said...

I guess Even I shall wait till tom n cast my vote.

The Mahajan Duo are seriously been missed.

Anah said...

Truth dude: An abrupt ending! May be I quite dint get the gist of it.

Mandappa: I liked your concept of pillows talking to each other and discussing about the heads that rest on them. A nice slimily put up..” A cycle more vicious than a double headed cobra on heat” The ending line could have been better. “Just like the Tarantino movie I saw before I passed out.” Who or what passed out?

Dok Saab: Wow a chicken on a Saffron n pineapple diet is really strange. Nice little dream depicted! Jeeves as in the P.G. Wodehouse’s character eh..? Well I have read that book “Thank you Jeeves.”. The book is hilarious & I liked that you used that part of the boss asking his butler to remind him words. :-)

Richa: I’m sorry your write up zoomed the flyover above my head. Alice in wonderland-dream like-surreal is the connection I make; but where does the Hey Diddle diddle come from?????!!!!!!

Santonu: Nice boy remembering girl story. Loved the last line…. “I lost her, my soul as every one cheered….”

DOK SAAB DESERVES TO BE THE WINNER… I VOTE FOR HIM!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Anahita for the vote :)
But I would like to point out, with six people klashing our votes the judge with 10 votes has the veto
And yess, without the Three Konfessioners taking part, the klash seems half hearted.
Koming to Komments,

Anahita: Lost and confused in Love is good, but the dream like, incongrous, fanastic imagery is missing.

Truth Dude: Word limit,Quality of content, Imagination and creativity, Artistic appeal, as in literary sense are there, but where is the soul?

Mandappa:
Word limit 2/2,
Quality of content 2/2,
Imagination and creativity 2/2, Artistic appeal 2/2,
Relevance of the word 1/2.

Richa Ji: We have known since childhood this poem about the cow and the moon, but never thought this was surrealism until you pointed out, but where is the creativity .

Santonu : 10/10, My Vote goes for you :), you are a shade above Mandappa

malted socktail said...

will leave my komments tmrw... tho i have no clue on who vetos who adn what counts for what....

jus thought id clarify to anahita...

the pillow..we talkin bout pillows talking...so the pillow passes out watchin tarantino ...the rest u get im guessin!

malted socktail said...

ok here goes my komments..

anahita - sweet...maybe strange, though i dont know how surreal it is. id leave it at co incidence. . writings smooth tho.

truth dude: looks like someones in love and all romantic but again not as surreal as surreal can be..unless u argue love is surreal.

dok saab: nice, tho u lost me a bit. which is good. but i dint like the usage of surreal "is it sureal u wanted say"..seems too forceful to be creative.

richa: lost me sweets tho i think i get ure point.

santonu: reall sweet.surreal almost. and if i cant vote for myself as the winner (can u ?) then my vote goes to santonu

Missy Baba said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Missy Baba said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Konfessioners said...

Sorry people, my IE hasnt been working, so am asking Shin-Shin to vote on my behalf.
Havent had the time or else wud have loved to write something surreal. Yes Dok Saab, the word was my suggestion.

Here are NM's komments:

1. Ana: Well written, but somehow failed to entice me. Nice second attempt though. You are surely getting higher with every Klash.

2. Truth Dude: Hmmm.. Hmmm... Hmmm... Quite Interesting.

3. Mandappa: Very, very, very well written. Precise, concise and witty! I love the popcorn thingy! And yes, it has Mr. Tarantino mentioned! You are my winner, dude!

4. Dok Saab: Brilliant as usual! Though I am not quite sure of the word limit... Is it under 200? But nicely written.

5. Sontanu: AMAZING! is the only word I can think of! You come a close second.

6. Richa: Nice Nice Nice! Well done!

NM apologizes for not being a part of the Klash. I promise shall be there next time!

Cheers all! Keep rocking KnK!

NM.

Missy Baba said...

Ok it's about time I let the cat outta the bag...I was waitin' for the Mousey Mahajans to vote!!!

Sorry Dok Saab!!! I mucked up the deadline thing...must've been too much on my mind!

BUT FIRST—Two Klashers overshot their word limit—Dok Saab -139 words, Richa- 193.

Ana-- Nice attempt again, you'll be winning a klash soon.. but your structure tends to suffer sometimes...Let me know if you'd like me to correct it? I'll give you a 6.

Truth Dude-- This personal account sure is something else, but just somehow...the surrealness of it (for the reader could be a little tough!) Nice read all the same :)..I'll give you a 6 this time.

Mandi-- You have started to excel yourself!!!! I don't know who to choose between Dok Saab and you… But Dok saab has lost 2 marks for his word limit. I give you an 8! (The Tarantino bit got me..haha nice!)

Dok Saab-- Your kreativity is killin' me.. VERY well written, this one is surreal if there ever was an example for the same..this'd be it.. You get an 8… My vote point= 10 goes to you. You lost 1 mark only, for the word limit, since you overshot it by 19 words.

Richa-- Short and sweet for sure!!! Your 'note' is what appealed to me...haha it did make me laugh..and I give you a 7.

Santonu-- I didn't understand who 'she' was.. was she there at all?! And that’s the beauty of it.. Well thought..but then like Truth Dude, this is a more personal dream..no problem with that... a little snag with the structure, but all in all you guys have ALL done well!! Santonu gets a 7 too.

Cheers,
Shinjini.

richa said...

hey better late than never..so here I am. First some clarifications..my submission was kind of jumbled up hence so many people were confused. maybe it will make more sense now..pls re-read. Doc Saab you are right there is no creativity but my own feelings for the word.. especially after I saw Museum of Modern Art in NY where they actually have a toilet seat as a part of surreal art!! cant blame me for being anti surreal!! LOL
Also I kind of misremembered the word limit as 200...so there..
here are my comments..since I dont understand or like surrealism must say was pleasantly surprised by the nice work here..
Mandappa: I think the imagery was real good and it really made me look at my pillows in a different light :)
Truth Dude: nice use of words but could not follow the time frame.
Doc Saab: I am split between voting for you and Mandappa...bringing in Jeeves here was a master touch. and the end..i just cant imagine the sanguine Jeeves trying to kill the bumbling Bertie but it would be funny!!
Santonu: I liked the end and the feeling of lost love.
Anahita: simple and sweet and effective.

My vote goes for Doc Saab.

Missy Baba said...

And the results are...

[b]Dok Saab wins with--12 points! my 10+Richa's 1+Ana's 1

NM's winner Mandi is second !

Congratulations all..!!! :)