Friday 19 October 2007

Wizard



1.

a person who practices magic; magician or sorcerer.

2.

a conjurer or juggler.

3.

Also, whiz, wiz

a person of amazing skill or accomplishment: a wizard at chemistry.

4.

of or pertaining to a wizard.

[ENTRIES CLOSED]


Free Woman (97)



I’d always hoped in my life to meet
A wily, wisey crooked man
Who would conjure things up
And give me cryptic advice

A guardian angel, But not so nice
A magician, But with some wisdom too
Ancient, but not so old
Ugly, but pleasing to the eyes

As I look back with grown up eyes
I see just such a man was in my life
Preaching, protecting, ever indulging
Scolding, amusing,

Tall and strong – his blue eyes crinkling
White hair and walking stick



=============================================================

Mickey The Monkey (120)


"F1", the SMS from Dr. Saab said.
"What is it" Dr. Michele called back.
Saab was the new computer savvy neurosurgeon in our hospital, always talking about gigabytes, networking, Blogs and PowerPoint Wizards.

"Mickey, I am baffled with this sarcoma patient. He is not responding to any treatment."
"Try Radiotherapy"
"Didn't work"
"Four drug chemotherapy"
"Had to stop because of side effects"
"Then go in for surgical removal"
"The tumor is very huge, Mickey, I have no experience with such types"
"Then F1 will not bail you out, Saab, what you need is a Wizard. Shift him to OR-8. I will be there in 30 minutes."
Dr. Michele Jordan, the wizard of neurosurgery, was getting ready for another challenging surgery.


Mandappa KC (119)


I'm a wizard no more.

I was a wizard. With the pen as my wand. The world my canvas.

It was a pomegranate evening, with juicy bursts every now and then.

I was a dreamer. I weaved my magic upon my sheet. As I sat under a tree.

I wrote. I warmed to the paper. And the heat of my magic made my cheeks cherry.

It was magical. I had won. I was crowned with the literary prize.

I wore a hat. And a superficial blood robe. I got a contract.

Money like falling rain. Staring face down at stardom. And then nothing.

Writer's block. Cold and thick as the blood of a rapist.

I couldn't write no more. I'm a wizard no more.


Dok Saab (118)


Greatest Wizard on the earth, him people feared.

Here was he lying down, broken and shattered.

He could produce roses and rabbits from thin air.

He could disappear from here and appear there.

Turning frog into a prince was a child's play.

A gentle wave of his wand turned night into day.

Magical power slowly got over his head.

He thought he could make people alive, dead.

He wanted to conquer the earth, stars and sky.

Only hindrance was a child he never knew why.

His curse backfired, his wand burnt away,

When he tried to kill the lovely child that day.

Shield of motherly love was protecting the child.

The Greatest Wizard lay there humiliated and riled.


==============================================================


Santonu (120)


Light…from the table lamp was extremely bright. I was leaning over the table with specs up. It was 20 hrs of continuous struggle. The table was full of scattered parts, I tore them out from the radio, it was just the sensor I had to fix and then magic! I will screw up the whole locking system, tomorrow.


It was dawn when the security heard the click and I went for the sleep, a sound sleep. When I took the challenge didn't know how I could do that, but I knew I will and the damage was done. Everyone was worried, me too, thinking about the consequences but the sense of accomplishment overpowered it, Robotics Wizard, they call me…I smiled.


Maximus (120)


"The Time Wizard”


1000 AD. The wizard of Oz could now summon the powers of Time! After water, wind and fire had to bow down before the great Oz, the sorcerers in the kingdom knew it was coming. The great wizard would now make journey into time.

Oz sees the world change, melt into 2000 AD. Standing in a busy city center he summons a youth and says “I am the great wizard of Oz!” and the youth answers “Yeah? And I am the great wizard of Java, and over there is the wizard of C++ and over there Wizard Microsoft himself.”

Oz wakes up. The sorcerers surround him and ask “What did you see? Almighty Oz?”

Oz never told anyone. Would you?

===============================================================


GSV (106)


In black and white skins

in feather and the fins

In green petals and red flowers

in thorns and the scars

In kings building their empire

in saints living in ur desire

In rain and rainbows so high

in sun, moon, and stars of sky

In each mountain,river and shrine

in whole realm of universe divine

Incarnate in bones

and carved in stones

in formless attire

in air you respire

athiest find you in science

astute search you in conscience

you are in beloved's look

equally in the holy book

In rich, poor, insane,and wise

O wizard of wizards....

omnipresent you are and yet in disguise...

===============================================================


Truth Dude (120)


Zing!
Your ship is ready for take off!

Zing!
ping ping.

Entered Galaxy.
You win 20000 points.

Going through cluster one kaching-kaching-kaching-kaching-kaching. Watchout for the blackhole.

'Nobody defies the Blackhole. Hah!'

Wooooooooooo! You have entered the blackhole..no exits no exits no exi…ka-ching!

'No way, she could do that! No fucking way!!'

Wooo-wooo-woooo-wooo! High score 3 million 1 hundred and 45 thousand points.
'This is not possible. She beat my high score thrice this week. I'm gonna get her secret.'
He walks right up to her.

"Excuse me", he says. "The Who exactly are you?"

She turns around and he stares at her incredulously as she removes her blindfold.
She smiles and replies ever so sweetly,

"I am the Pinball Wizard."




Sarang Mahajan (119)


I know a wizard, who’s magic was boundless.
His hair wasn’t wizardly, but wisdom? Yes…
…wisdom to match any wizened wizard half a thousand years old.

He’d lean on his famous staff and walk, casting spells…
… spells sung passionately by the history.
… spells that would draw him an army of carpenters, farmers, blacksmiths and school teachers; and with a pinch of salt he could unite them together for the heroics no Indian will ever forget.

His words could spread magic faster than forest-fire.

Through his magical specs, he saw a weapon none had seen in millenniums before…
…the weapon of peace.

I know a wizard loved by the world… for the magic he once cast still spreads…


===================================================================



Konfessioner Singh (147)

(I just wanted to enjoy myself haha..sorry about the word kount!! :) )


Oh yeah?

Yeah!

Charlie Brown, what on earth makes you think ALL wizards are men?

All the books and movies Marge.

Who asked you pig?

I was just trying to…

Forget it Peewee, we know! women are witches, men are wizards.

Baloney!

Marge is a witch, Marge is a wi-it-cch naa- na-na- naa!

Ooh, you! Never mind, I’m gonna go ask grandpa.

Off she trudged in her golden starred black velvet robe to the one man who held answers to all of life’s not so easy questions. What did boys know anyway? Stupid worms. She was a wizard and she knew it!

Grandpa, Peewee and Charlie Brown say I’m a witch.

Why, that’s wonderful Marge! I told your mother you were the clever one…

But pa!!! I am a wizzaaard! Witches don’t know about all the forces and..

Pumpkin, I know you’re a wizard.

Really?

Really, really.


34 comments:

Mickey said...

Finally Its Up !!!
Eight Takes !! Not bad at all !!
And finally Sir GSV within limits!!

The Konfessioners said...

And make that 9! Konfessioner Singh out of limits! haha

Unknown said...

Hi All
Nice takes here !
The word seemed difficult to start with, but how many different thoughts the word evokes.
The Monkey is trying to be funny with me, but Mickey i am not a surgeon, only a pediatrician.
At the first read, I found Konfessioner Singh's approach very different. True, why we should have a witch and a wizard, when we now have chairpersons instead of chairmen. She kould have packed it in 120 if she tried.

Mickey said...

Mickey's Theorem of Klashing.--The number of words written in the takes is inversely proportional to the degree of busyness of the klasher.
The more you are busy the lesser is the number of words in your take, so much so that those who are infinitely busy have written zero words, while those at leisure have written 147. some people may write two takes as well, if they have no business.

truthdude said...

We need witches and wizards because there are two sexes..simple as that. Unless you wanna club em together.
Then why have a horse and a mare?

:)

Priyanka said...

Am going to be truthful..!! I couldn't find the time to write...what with Durga Pujo and everything...and I couldnt string two words together for this word.. :D I need a Word Wizard for this... hehehehe..!! Nice takes everyone...ciao..!! :-)

Free Woman said...

Hi all - hats off to you guys who are consistent. I always try to write something (I promist Konfessioner Singh!), but I never complete it. This is what I started this week -I wanted to say that my 94 yr old grandpa was a wizard of sorts to me...

I’d always hoped in my life to meet
A wily, wisey crooked man
Who would conjure things up
And give me cryptic advice

A guardian angel, But not so nice
A magician, But with some wisdom too
Ancient, but not so old
Ugly, but pleasing to the eyes

As I look back with grown up eyes
I see just such a man was in my life
Preaching, protecting, ever indulging
Scolding, amusing,

Tall and strong – his blue eyes crinkling
White hair and walking stick

richa said...

I have been gone so long that I think people have forgotten that I exist!! No scraps no mails!!! anyhow here I am..back and armed :)
Loved the read..honestly I could not get anyone theme to develop with this word...thought Sarang's and GSV's were very nice and unique. Princess I love Charlie Brown too...are you a secret writer for them..haha your write up sounded soooo Marge!!

Unknown said...

It is the beauty of Klash, that words which I have never used before, which when suggested at first, seem so insignificant, become so powerful when the Klash is published.
When Sarang suggested Wizard the first image which came to my mind was of Dumbledore, whom I admire, and the next, of the MS Office Wizards, which are always a nuisance and never used.
But Bapu as a wizard or The Almighty as the wizard of wizards never occurred to me. The Wizard of Oz is I believe one of the most famous wizards in literature, and found his place in Klash in a very interesting time warp.
Wizard with a pen for a wand was also a very appealing idea.
Neurosurgery wizard, robotics wizard, or pinball wizards, though defined the word nicely, lacked innovation, and appeared forced.
Though GSV’s beautifully rhymed prayer about God was very nicely written, it failed to portray God as a wizard.
The idea of Bapu as a wizard, with the stick for a wand, was more convincing ; my vote goes to Sarang Mahajan, whether he gets the eggs as a krown or a banana.

Konfessioner Singh, I feel, deliberately kept out of the race. Removing few words here and there was a child’s play for this editor of the Indian Express. She raised a very valid point though. It’s not politically correct to used gender insensitive words. Just as we now use Actor for both female and male performers, and Rashtrapati instead of Rashtrapatni for our first female president, why can’t we use wizard for females too. I feel witches have been portrayed as evil by the male dominant society so much that it has become a derogatory word compared to wizard.
P.S. Free Woman, you wrote very lovely lines about your grandpa, wish you could have finished that too.

truthdude said...

:)

this klash is my tribute to 2 of the finest band of musicians in the world of rock!

is there any rocker here?

Sarang Mahajan said...

Few of us, but good klashes! As usual, different of minds have produced different takes on the word.

Free woman: Talking about your grandfather? A good take. "Ancient, but not so old. Ugly, but pleasing to eyes." Good lines. But I feel, for some readers, you could have mentioned it was grandfather you wrote about.

Mickey: Since when do you understand so much about the medical field? :D A good take. Doctors are nothing less than wizards.

Mandi: A different take. Wizard's Block! I love that you compare writers with wizards! :D In the first line, I think it has to be paper rather than canvas. A good perspective for wizardry.

Shall scribble rest of the komments soon...

Missy Baba said...

hi all!! im sorry, im so pooped i cant even write straight! Cinders (my black labrador) had an operation today (tumor had to be removed), with god's grace, its all gone well..am with her.. shall komment and vote by tomorrow..but i request everyone to please finish voting today itself..you can komment later too..but at least vote so we get the word!!! my vote goes to TD.

more later! sorry!!! :(

Mickey said...

Hi all
I am not in town, hanging around in the forests of Kuano, so can't komment on every take. Am voting from my GPRS Mobile.
My Vote--- Free Woman though her take is incomplete.
@ Sarang I lived for quite some times on the mango tree in the AIIMS Campus and have seen those wizards in white coats :)

truthdude said...

my vote...Shinjini.
really, really :)

truthdude said...

Really, really.
hehe I love that. makes me smile every time i think of it. :)

richa said...

have i crossed the time line again??? my vote to Sarang

Santonu said...

My vote to: Sarang

Unknown said...

vote to Dok saab

Mickey said...

@ Dok Saab
Dumbledore is gay
Dumbledore is gay
Rowling says so
I dare not say

Sarang Mahajan said...

Dok Saab: "Dear old Voldy! Nice one Sir. But I don't know whether I'd call Voldemort the greatest wizard, may be Dumbledore, for he had equal power, or more perhaps, but he chose not to use it the way Voldy did. The theme here seems love. But it touches me as it is from a story I love so much.

Santonu: Sounds like Mission Impossible, and I like that sound. A good take man.

Maximus: Haha. Wonderful take man. I like it. FIne imagination.

GSV: Seriously some good work you are putting up every week. Yet another unique take here.

Truthdude: Dude, I've spent/wasted serious time of my life playing this game. I'd love to meet that witch/wizard.

Shinjini: A cute one, Missy. Never mind the word limit (for this once).

My vote goes to Maximus, for I thought it matched best with the theme and the concept was cool.

malted socktail said...

well, now im totally stumped as to dates deadlines and the likes...
do i have time to komment on all...
for now my winner is GSV....come on people cant u see the improvement.... he's become a wizard after all....

GSV --- ure last line was exceptional! u got my vote!!

truth dude -- rocker...which bands??

as for dylan fans around here -- another movie comin out,
its called "I'm not there"
trailers look fab !! :)
and so i got stoned..
laters!!

truthdude said...

I refer to Cluster One in my Klash. Cluster One is Pink Floyd's song - an instrumental track which you must hear to believe. (It's Pink Floyd, dude!)

And I wonder if anybody noticed a grammatical mistake in this sentence -
"Excuse me", he says. "The Who exactly are you?"

Well if you did and then you must also have known of one helluva song played by Pete Townshend from the band called (no points for guessing this one) THE WHO -

"That deaf, dumb and blind kid
Sure plays a mean pinball."

The song is called (no points for guessing this one either) Pinball Wizard.

:)

malted socktail said...

nice !! super!

Priyanka said...

Wats the good word for next week..?? :-)

malted socktail said...

are we dying ??

Mickey said...

Don't know about others but I am bored to death, hanging from this same branch for the last so many days (and Nights) with nothing to do (except eating peanuts )
I hope the Konfectioners are alive and kicking (very busy , I mean)

Unknown said...

@Malted Socktail, Mickey
I am not so busy as not to leave a few small komments here and there, I have a reputation (of a Busy Practitioner) to protect. So even if I check for new komments n times in a day, I shy away from making any komments.
I hope the original konfessioner ka trio are sufficiently busy so as not to notice these komments :)

Santonu said...

lets decide a word and start klashing what about "monkey" :D

Unknown said...

Good Idea
I second the proposal :)

Priyanka said...

Anything....just anything... :D

Mickey said...

Happy Birthday Priyanka jee
Forget Klash, think about the lovely times ahead :)

malted socktail said...

so "monkey" it is

send in ure entrie...whenever possible, but somtime this week !

malted socktail said...

no takers...wats happening
who killed the electric car is a nice movie...

any takers for
"who killed the klash"

Missy Baba said...

Hey Guys!!!

Mandi.. extremely excited about the new dylan movie... these days I'm ADDDDDDDDDIKKTED to the tombstone blues, can't get enough of the song..sing it in my sleep too.. don't know what the deal is haha.

Mickey, I'm sorry but the winner chose WIND!!!! :)

Santonu..wish you guys had put the new klash up!!! :)

TD-- delighted you liked the really, really.. haha. It's not an original line though.. wonder where I heard it?!

I'm a 'rock' wali too..but I must admit I didn't get the "deal"!!! VERY cool though..very very cool.

Oh and NO the klash is NOT dead!!!!!!

As ever,
Shinjini.